Thursday, March 14, 2019

Hawaiian through the Bible - 2

Genesis 1:1 
I kinohi hana ke Akua i ka lani a me ka honua. 

I : in - in the previous post we meet “i” as a verb marker; here is is a very general locative preposition, “in” aor “at”.

Kinohi : beginning

Ke Akua : God - literally “The God”, in Hawaiian it takes the definite article; which is “ke” rather than “ka” because the next word “Akua” begins with an “a”.

Hana : make, made

I : a third use of “i”, here is isthe direct object marker.

Ka  lani : the heaven

A me : and - “me” means “with”, so “and with”, but the combination “a me” is more usual when proceeding a noun.

Ka honua : the earth.

So “in the beginning, God made the heaven and the earth”, or “at the start, God made the heaven and the earth”.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home